Solar panels are a substantial investment for most people. That is why it’s only natural that you’d want your solar system to last once you decide to invest. Luckily, we’ve prepared a set of useful tips for maintaining your solar panels that will ensure you get the most out of your solar experience.
As the leading solar installers in Del Mar, the experts at Action Solar will be more than glad to provide you with all the solar-related information you may need. Whether you want to find out why solar panels are a great investment, how long it will take for your solar system to pay off or want to know if you can install solar panels on your condo, we’re the ones to turn to for all the answers.
Read on to find out how to care for your solar system!
Do solar panels need servicing?
In general, solar panels are highly efficient, have long lifespans and require very little maintenance. A high-quality solar system will last for more than 25 years in most cases without too much effort on your part. However, you should clean your solar panels at least once or twice a year since they can accumulate dust and dirt over time. While you can clean your panels yourself, having seasoned solar technicians inspect and clean your panels at least once a year is by far the easiest way to ensure your solar panels stay in peak condition for years to come.
Can you pressure wash solar panels?
Unfavorable weather conditions and trees and debris surrounding your panels can sometimes damage your panels if you’re not careful. This is why keeping your solar system free from snow and debris is essential for maintaining good performance.
Here’s how you can remove dust build-up and debris:
- Use a leaf blower
- Rinse the panels with a hose
- Rely on rain to wash the dirt off (if your panels are installed at an angle)
Here’s how you can remove snow:
- Loosen up the snow by throwing a soft ball on them
- Remove the snow with a squeegee installed at the end of a long pole
- Try blowing off the snow with a leaf blower
- Unless your solar panels are flat, a thin layer of snow will most likely slide off on its own and clean the panels.
If you follow these tips, your panels will remain clean and functional all year long. However, there are some methods you should never use when cleaning your solar panels. Here are some examples:
- Never spray them with hot water while they are cold or wash them with cold water while they are very hot since you may crack them by doing so. You can check the surface temperature with a temperature gun and proceed to wash the panels if the temperature is fine.
- Never use RainX, rock salt, or car wax on your panels since these can damage the panels and even your roof.
Depend on the best solar installers Del Mar has to offer
If you rely on experienced solar professionals for your solar panel installation, you can expect them to work perfectly for a very long time. However, while your solar system won’t require too much effort to stay in tip-top shape, you should still do everything you can to keep them functional and clean.
But why do it yourself? With the finest solar professionals at your service, you’ll have the time to take a break to explore Torrey Pines while they clean your solar panels to perfection. Reach out to Action Solar today and give your solar system the attention they deserve!